30 April 2012

W is for Whimsy

I wash my car at three in the morning simply because I get the urge. I go to the local 24 hour K-mart and stroll through the homewares section at odd hours just because. I wore a fluffy Willy Wonka hat to pick up my brother because it caught my eye when I opened my wardrobe. And I am so much happier for it.

I think we all need to give in to those silly, childish urges and just DO IT. If you want to wear a cape as you vacuum, then by all means, wear the damn cape. Feel like a super hero as you're stuck doing mundane chores. Infact, blast up some Duran Duran and make it the most embarassing housework/aerobics/dress-up session you've ever had in your life. Paint your toe nails glow in the dark and attack a sibling or partner with the beacons of light shining from your feet in the dead of night. Go to a movie, avery serious movie, and in the most serious of scenes, make fart noises. It might annoy some people. It could mortify others. People will think 'oh my gosh, did they actually do that? Is she wearing a CAPE?' and they might stare. But I bet 90% of them are dying to have the guts to do the same.

We only live once, and if it's always a case of following routine, then I hate to say, but you're boring. What will people say at your funeral? "They were polite. Orderly. They followed routine. A model citizen, by today's measure." Pfft. BORING. Why don't you just start wearing beige, paint your entire house white, embroider days of the week on your underwear and cook all of your meals for the week on Sunday night and freeze them. And NEVER defer from the routine.



At least for my funeral I know there is a wealth of hilarious and unusual stories to draw from for the poor sods stuck doing eulogies and readings. "Remmber when she ran down the highway in swimmers an hour out of Dubbo, chasing tumbleweed for Hanah's collection?" or "Remember how she used to get in the car, at whatever time of night and say let's go for a drive, and we'd end up two hours away" or even "Remember when she busked outside the toilets at the shopping centre. People were so confused." I know I am at the extreme end of things, but I couldn't imagine being any other way. I wish everyone would just do the chicken dance if the mood struck, because most wouldn't. Most would stamp down the urge and deny themselves the pure joy that comes from whimsy. It's one of the greatest gifts, besides organs, we can give. And the best part is you can give it to yourself. So whilst it's probably not best to ALWAYS follow the weird and wonderful impulses we get, it certainly does beat being ordinary. And boring.

Jessenia xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment